Manager, Education & Outreach, African American Community (11/16)
Department: Education & Outreach
Reports To: AVP, Education & Outreach/Heath Equity
Alzheimer’s Los Angeles has been in service for 40 years in the LA community. Our mission to improve the lives of families affected by Alzheimer’s and dementia by increasing awareness, delivering effective programs and services, providing compassionate support and advocating for quality care and a cure.
The Manager, Education & Outreach, Pan-African community develops strategies and implements outreach, education, and awareness in Los Angeles County, serving all caregivers and targeting African Americans in under-resourced communities. The Manager, Education & Outreach, African American Services works as part of a collaborative team to identify educational opportunities and works with community-based agencies and organizations throughout Los Angeles County and in the delivery of educational classes and workshops. Additionally, the manager will strategically develop relationships within and deliver culturally appropriate programming for the African American community.
Essential Job Functions:
- Deliver education workshops to a variety of audiences (caregivers, general public, faith-based community, seniors, baby boomers)
- Plan and implement strategic program goals for community and caregiver education, outreach, and community partnerships including evidence-based caregiver interventions throughout Los Angeles County.
- Deliver community and caregiver education including evidence-based caregiver interventions to the African American community of all ages.
- Develop outreach strategies that direct African American families with dementia to Alzheimer’s Los Angeles support services, volunteer opportunities, and fundraising efforts.
- Develop and sustain community relationships within the African American community and represent Alzheimer’s Los Angeles at appropriate community meetings and events, with other community-based organizations, healthcare providers, funders, and the general public.
- Deliver grant related activities and events; ensure grant obligations and deliverables are achieved.
- Support social media efforts to the African American community (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.)
- Responsible for documenting all education and outreach efforts, including quarterly reports, data entry into Education & Outreach databases and calendars.
- Contribute to the development of culturally tailored educational materials (brochures, presentations, etc.).
- Attend and participate in community meetings and networking events.
- Incorporate advocacy and fund development into programs and services as appropriate
- Conduct a minimum of sixteen community education presentations events per month
- Participate in resource fairs, health fairs, etc.
- Provide and maintain lists of Alzheimer’s LA collateral dissemination (libraries, organizations, etc.)
- Other duties as assigned
- Keen understanding of diverse communities, including cultural and linguistic needs
- Minimum of eight years of progressively responsible community education positions
- Strong curriculum development skills, preferably with an understanding of adult learning principles
- Demonstrated experience leading a large and diverse team; strong supervisorial skills
- Experience implementing, delivering, and monitoring grant deliverables, including budgets
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, especially Word and Excel
- High level of integrity, diplomacy, and initiative
- California driver license, proof of auto insurance, reliable transportation
- Ability to communicate effectively in person and virtually, in writing and verbally to a variety of audiences
- Ability to work effectively with diverse populations
- Ability to manage a large team
- Ability to work evenings and weekends during event periods as needed
- Ability to travel as needed to perform job duties
- Ability to bend, stoop, twist and lift 20 pounds minimum
- Hybrid in-office/work from home environment
- High volume of public contact
- Travel by car and by air to attend meetings, as needed
- Work with a diverse group of individuals and groups in a multicultural environment
- Work may include periods of high volume, tight deadlines, and events
- Computer workstation
- Audiovisual equipment
We will consider for employment all qualified Applicants, including those with Criminal Histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws,
including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance (FCIHO).
Alzheimer’s Los Angeles (Alzheimer’s LA) offers a competitive salary + benefits. Alzheimer’s LA is an M/F, Disabled, and Vet EEO/AA Employer.
Pay: From $65,000.00 per year
- Medical, dental, vision
- 401(k) matching
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Professional development assistance
Staff are able to work a hybrid remote/in-office schedule. When in office, everyone is required to wear a mask, sanitize, and be mindful of Social Distancing. There is a patio available for breaks. Per policy, everyone is vaccinated/boosted.